Sunday, March 2, 2014

A Winter Reflection


I'm not one to complain about winter, but this has been a particularly insane winter.  Since December of last year, it seems like we have had weekly nor'easters, record snowfall and countless snow days for the kids in the burbs.  I've worn only Wellies for shoes more than I'd like to admit (hey, at least I don't look like an idiot trying to delicately do the splits over puddles of slush), my head is in a constant state of hat hair because I refuse to have cold ears, and my skin is pretty much crying every day (but not in the literal sense, because it's dryer and chalkier than I've ever experienced).


Winston's snow shoes
Sure it's festive, and I have taken advantage of a "snow day" for the first time since moving to New York, and if you haven't been to Molly's Shebeen during a blizzard, your life isn't complete.  But I'll be the first to admit that it's getting old.  Something about the consistent promise of cold has the ability to take the wind out of your sails a little bit.  The monotony of spending 5-10 minutes layering up before you walk out the door isn't fun after almost 4 months...and I haven't even gotten in to the major pain in the ass it is to put shoes on my dog!  But just when you think you couldn't possibly pull on another pair of gloves, or the thought of putting on another freakin pair of tights makes you want to scream, we are reminded that winter in New York is a really beautiful thing.


I have yet to share my obligatory blizzard recap with you all this year, mainly because there have been just too many snowstorms to count.  So I wanted to take this time to share some snaps from the season because even if I can barely stand the thought of a sub 30 degree day anymore, winter in Manhattan really it is a wonderful thing (that is until all the snow turns into black ice or becomes a muddy pile of slush on the side of the road!).

We are almost in the clear and with just a few weeks left of winter 2013 - 2014, I can almost taste the flowers blooming in Madison Square Park...my nose is itching just thinking about it! Soon the record breaking winter of 2013 - 2014 will be a distant memory, and we'll all reflect on "that crazy winter" over a whiskey with friends. When the seasons change this year, I can guarantee that New York city will rejoice and it will be pandemonium the first day that we can all brave bare legs or enjoy some rose at a restaurant with some outdoor seating.  But for now, it's not time to put my puffy coat away just yet, and we have a few more weeks of cozy sweater weather.  We hope you all are surviving winter and keeping your spirits up!  We're almost there everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment