Monday, February 24, 2014

Just Keep Swimming!

We are almost two months into 2014 and I'm continuing to make a conscious effort to maintain my stress levels this year.  I was pretty adamant about trying ANYTHING it would take to live a more zen 2014 and so far.....it's working...well...KIND OF!  My weekdays are a constant battle to preserve my sanity and stress-levels and my weekends have been 100% devoted to clearing my mind and body of this stress.  I will admit, there have been a few close calls with work-induced anxiety, but I've become more conscious of using my weekends to strategically plan and implement my "zen tactics".

Sanka Playing a little peek-a-boo
One thing that I've always found extremely calming was fish.  Yes...you read that right...fish.  No, not sushi, not a nice grilled halibut, not fish-ING, but a fish.  A swimmy, graceful, little friend in a bowl.  There is a reason that doctors and dentists offices have aquariums.  I read a few places that watching fish swimming in a home environment eases stress and may offer a means of treating high blood pressure (which I don't have...but I'm working to avoid).  After we lost our little gold fish Cannoli last summer, there was an empty space on our counter from where that tropical bowl used to sit.  And in my first post of 2014, I vowed to try anything for a little relief.

So off we went to trusty Pet Smart, and after much debate over species and selection - we brought home a teal beta fish that we have lovingly named Sanka.  Sanka - named after his festiveness and tropical hue, and in celebration of the 2014 Winter Olympics and the iconic Jamaican bobsled team.  But more importantly, Sanka, so that I can greet him every morning as he floats atop the bowl waiting for food and say "Sanka, you dead mon?"

Maybe I'm crazy thinking that staring at this little blue fish will be a cure for some of my stress woes, but he IS handsome and he is fun to look at when I am sitting at my kitchen table working late night on a deck.  And being my Pisces self, it's lovely to have another "fish" in the house!  Welcome to the most festive family in Manhattan Sanka - We already love your tranquil little spirit!



No comments:

Post a Comment