Monday, January 21, 2013

Let's go Niners?

It started at an early age!  You can tell this
was during the Glory Days because I'm
still smiling!
From what you have probably seen in my past posts, I am an extremely avid Bear's fan.  With the exception of maybe the months of February and March (and unfortunately most of January THIS year...no thanks to the Green Bay Packers), I eat, breathe, sleep Chicago Bear's Football.  My parents have a dog named Bear, we plan our fall weekends around the Bear's home game schedule, my favorite article of clothing is a 1986 Super Bowl XX T-shirt that my friend bought me from a thrift shop in Texas, I ONLY receive Bears themed gifts from the DuPont family at Christmas, I travel with a foam Bear claw as my carry-on, I'm on a never-ending search for the perfect Ditka sweater-vest, I didn't speak to Mike for a few days when he refused to let me name Winston "Ditka" or "Butkus", and I cannot be counted on anytime between September and December to make plans on Sundays.  You get the point...I bleed navy and orange. 
He's only a 9ers fan 1/2 of the time!


When I married Mike, I took his name, and in exchange, I forced my love of all things Chicago Bears unto him and gave him no choice otherwise.  It's true...it was ACTUALLY in our vows.  He acted elated when I bought him Strange Cargo Bears shirts for every holiday I could think of, and he wasn't embarrassed to join in my rants against the terrible coaching I've endured for every year of my fan-dom since Ditka (All hail DA COACH!).  He even let's me put the Bears on the "big TV" in the event that the Bears and the 49ers are playing at the same time. That's true love, I'd say.
All of that being said, I'm sure you've heard that the Bears are NOT going to the Super Bowl this year, I know, I'm surprised too.  If I could pick one other team BESIDES my beloved Monsters of the Midway, I would have to say, in support of my husband, I'm thrilled to see the Niners going to the big game. Outside of the fact that their head coach is a former Bear, my husband has been patiently waiting all season for me to enjoy a few 49ers games with him and NOT think about how their win or loss could potentially have implications on the Bear's season. This is the first time in our relationship that I've been able to FULLY immerse myself in the success of the 49ers and truly be happy for my husband and his favorite team since his childhood in San Francisco.

Additionally, for the first time in my almost 7 year career in advertising, I've achieved the holy grail of all media buying in working on the Axe account.  I am now the proud owner of a sweet :30 spot in the Super Bowl game!  So more than anything in the world, for my first Super Bowl commercial, I wanted two things.  1. A good game and 2. Some teams that I actually care about!  Suffice to say...I think I've hit the jackpot here. 

No, I haven't officially converted to being a 49ers fan, and I still love my Chicago Bears defensive line as much as I love some of my best friends.  But I'm living proof that it IS possible to have room in your heart to love more than one team.  Congrats to the 49'ers and I'm looking forward to screaming my face off on February 3rd!  Let's go Niners!!!!

1 comment: