Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Happy Birthday Brochacho


All 10 lbs of him!
I haven't spent my brother's birthday with him in the past 3 years, and that makes me sad.  Garrett John DuPont was born 27 years ago during one of the most epic Super Bowl weekends in the history of football --ok, maybe that's just my opinion.  But you have to know you're going to be a special human being if your birth date is synonymous with the 1985 Chicago Bear's Super Bowl Shuffle, and the great legends like William "The Refrigerator" Perry, Jim McMahon, Hurricane Ditka, and of course, Sweetness.



Maybe it's just me, but January is a particularly long month.  The weather is bitterly cold, we are all recovering from the holiday hangover, work is creating a sense of panic and extreme anxiety, and we have no trips or weekend getaways the entire month (the first time we've been home every weekend in a month since January 2012).  It's just a long 31 days.

So I'm not sure if it was more of a treat for him, or for myself to have both my brother & my pops here on Garrett's big 2-7.  They were both in town for business, and cleared their work schedule for the evening of Garrett's birthday.  After a hellish week at work, I was counting down the hours until quality time and delicious food with both of them.  We made reservations at one of  my favorite spots, Almond, so that we could conveniently be only two blocks away from my apartment and minimized exposure to the numbing 12 degree weather.  We had martinis & Old Fashioneds, we snacked on some gourmet meals, we talked about each others days, and we did a toast to the Big Guy himself.   The only thing we were missing was mom! 

Admittedly, I was a bit distracted and didn't make a cake - which I'm still regretting because I have been saving up all these delicious looking pins on Pinterest for an occasion like this (damn you 65 hour work week!).  So that means I got to introduce Garrett to one of New York's best little gems...Baked by Melissa.

It makes my heart happy when Winston gets that little surprise when my brother and dad do a little drop by at the apartment.  It's like Christmas morning every time to Winston when he sees those guys.  Having the two of them come over to the apartment and sit on our couch with Winston and drink a few glasses of scotch makes it feel like they actually live here, even if I only saw them for 4 hours.  Being able to sing happy birthday to my brother while he blows out his candles, and watching him open our gift to him takes away the 1,500 miles that are between us.  Happy birthday to the greatest brother ever, this year is going to be your best. Welcome to your late 20's bro - it's an amazing time in your life!

We love you!!! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment