Monday, January 14, 2013

First 5 Things of 2013!

It's the little things in life that make you realize how sweet life really is!

1.  Sweet treats -- Mike and I were running errands around the city the other day, and we stopped by a Crumbs to pickup a little dessert to enjoy after Sunday Night Dinner.  Not only were they beautiful, but I felt no remorse in splitting a treat with my husband.  It's totally necessary to reward yourself with these indulgences after a whole week of packing salads and water-soluble vegetables to eat at work!
Don't worry...we know these photo bombers!
2.  Ah...the things we do for love, right?  As an avid Bears fan, my heart was broken a few weeks ago when the Green Bay Packers failed to beat the Vikings and send the Bears to the post-season.  My sweethusband is very tolerant and patient in my support for the Chicago Bears.  He's put up with countless rants over coaching, a few tears caused by an emotion-less quarterback, and perhaps the worst of all....the silence that ensues for hours after a devastating loss.  I'll admit, I try to pull rank when the Bears & Niners are playing at the same time.  So when the 49ers advanced to the playoffs, it was a great time to finally wear the Patrick Willis jersey that Mike bought me before the season and spend some time cheering for my husband's team.  If the Bears can't go to the Super Bowl, I guess this is my SECOND choice!  Let's go Niners!

3.  Much needed date night -- Every year during the first week of January, Mike heads out to Las Vegas for CES.  I'm not being dramatic in saying that it's one of the toughest weeks of the year.  It's difficult going back to work after a long winter break, and it's difficult waking up and coming home to an empty apartment during that tough week back at work!  When Mike returned, I couldn't wait for a Friday Night date with him at one of our favorite places in the neighborhood, BLT Fish Shack.  There is nothing better to battle the winter-time blues than a date at a nautical restaurant where you have endless options of festive snacks from the sea.


4.  A new book!  I have a never-ending list of books I want to read. There are at least 6 books downloaded on my iPad that I haven't started along with a list within my notes on my phone of other books I need to read.  Starting a new literary adventure is so exciting, and I was rubbing my palms together in anticipation as I curled up with my iPad and flipped to page 1.  Last year I read Pillars of the Earth and A World Without End, and I was giddy with excitement at the thought of starting the next Ken Follett book.  Mike is traveling the next few weeks, and we have a nice long weekend coming up -- I can't wait to spend a few hours to myself with a nice cup of tea, a furry blanket, and my new Ken Follett book.  Now if only we'd get some snow!     
5.   Shake Shack!  With the Golden Globes on Sunday, Mike and I have been doing our homework as we try to see some of the great films that have come out over the past few weeks.  After a matinee of Zero Dark Thirty, I had the brilliant idea to head over to Shake Shack where there was...wait for it....NO LINE!  One of the many benefits of living close to Madison Square Park is that I have the luxury of just browsing the line at Shake Shack, and knowing that rainy or chilly days are the optimal time to make your move for the deliciousness of Shake Shack.  We even brought home a pooch-ini treat for Winston & he went NUTS. 

Mike & I are looking forward for a 3-day weekend next weekend.  Hopefully we get out to do something fun in the city.  Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment