Monday, March 26, 2012

Over the River and Through the Woods

Last week was just "one of those weeks"...and sometimes, the only cure for that is good ol' fashioned family time and a little bit of fresh air.  I've spent most of my life (with the exception of a few years as a young child) living in a different state from my extended family.
Winston and Franklin 

The DuPonts had to brave the airport craziness anytime we spent Christmas or Thanksgiving with our family.  But in 2010, when Mike and I moved to New York, we were a mere train ride away from my grandmother, aunts, uncles, cousins, dogs, you name it!  So I get to make up for 26 years of living far away from them, by heading out to Bristol, Connecticut whenever the heck I feel like it!


Home made guac
A little nap in the sun room
 I don't think I can even begin to describe how much Winston loves being out in Connecticut.  He doesn't have to wear a leash, he doesn't have to relieve himself on cement or trash bags, there are kids and other dogs, and there is an unlimited amount of balls for him to chase!  And when we get out to the country, he's happy, which is hard to tell on a bulldog, because in general, they look grumpy....but he's happy.  He loves nature, he's a nature dog. And he knows....boy does he know...when he gets a car ride to visit Connecticut.  Sometimes it's worth it, just for him.  Man, am I going to be a sap when I have a child. 


We don't need to do anything special when we visit Connecticut, it's not like we go out there because we want a crazy night out on the town.  I just feel lucky to have an outlet from the city whenever I need it.  And sometimes the best thing to do is just catch up with everyone and maybe attend a little cocktail party that my gram threw for all of her friends, regardless of the fact that I was the youngest by about 45 years.  Or sometimes, all you need to do is bust out the ol' Margaritaville machine and make a daiquiri, even though it's not summer.  Or sometimes you just need to do P90X in the living room with your uncle.  And sometimes, you just want to eat cocoa puffs and cinnamon rolls because you never have them at home.  It doesn't matter how old or how self sufficient you are, sometimes you just need a good home cooked meal, a family game night, and maybe a little time away from the daily grind to reboot yourself before another crazy week.  Thank God for family!

1 comment:

  1. Winston is so cute!

    And I completely agree on sometimes you just need to get out of the city! Looking forward to going home next month.

    (Amy sent me your blog b/c I'm nosy)

    ReplyDelete