Tuesday, March 6, 2012

1984

My sweet shirt that used
to fit my husband
My birthday tends to fall within a time of year where there just so happens to be a lot of concerts.  Since Mike and I have been dating, we've celebrated my birthday with some type of epic musical performance.  In 2009, it was the 10th Anniversary concert of Jimmy Eat World's Clarity album, one of my favorite bands of all time.  2010 took us to Las Vegas with the Blades' for my first ever Bon Jovi show.  Last year was another JBJ show at MSG, and this year....well this year was Van Halen.

Birthday 2010 in Vegas for Bon Jovi!
For everyone who doesn't know by husband, Van Halen is his favorite band of all time.  It is the perfect blend of metal, awesomeness, and serotonin (as evident through the single "Jump").  I often boast of his amazing Van Halen tatoo on his arm.  So here we are with another 2012 first for me.  My first ever Van Halen show!   I can always rely on my husband to get amazing tickets to every concert and for Van Halen we were 6 rows away from Eddie Van Halen shredding his face off and David Lee Roth's little twinkle toes.  This reunion has been a long time coming, and as soon as they made the announcement in December, it was the best Christmas gift Mike had gotten all year.  It was such a treat to see one of the greatest guitarists of all time from just a few feet away.  And it was the perfect way to end a very musical and metal week after 4 days of rocking (literally and physically) on the cruise!

But yesterday I celebrated 28 wonderful years of life and I thank everyone out there who made me feel special.  Growing up, my family always knew by birthday was coming because right around February 20th, I started milking it.  "Can I stay up an extra 20 minutes please, it's my birthday?".  "Can I sleep over at a friends house on a school night, it's my birthday?".  "Can you do all my chores in the house for me, because it's my birthday?".  "Can I have two Popsicles for dessert, it's my birthday!"  "Can you get me some water, it's my birthday?".  If you didn't know it was my birthday, you saw it coming weeks before the actual day. 



A little birthday toast
I'm not sure at which age I stopped with these tendencies, but my birthday used to be my favorite day of the year.  Better than Christmas, better than Halloween...better than the last day of school.  I could never understand why crazy ladies started to not like their birthdays over the years. But this year...I completely understood, and THANK GOD I have my amazing husband who made sure I felt special and that there was no time for me to turn into a crazy lady because you're
My birthday bouquet and
a bulldog card...what else?

"sensitive" around your birthday.  He gave me presents all day, which included: a beautiful silk dress he picked out himself! (and knew what size I was!!!), P90X II (no, I did NOT take that gift the wrong way...for those of you who know me....P90X is pretty much my life), and best of all....two round trip, FIRST CLASS tickets to Italy in September!  Mike took me to one of the finest restaurants in New York City, Gramercy Tavern where we enjoyed some exquisite cuisine and spotted a few New York celebrities while indulging in one of the best brownie sundaes I've ever had!




But after another year and as I grow older and wiser, I am reminded of just how lucky I am to have all the amazing people in my life.  Even though I had a few crazy "I hate my birthday" moments, I had overwhelming love from all my friends and family to ground me and make me feel special.  Thank you to Joanna DuPont for giving birth to a 10 lb baby girl (those were some ugly pictures that day I was born...not my best) 28 years ago!  And thank you to my patient and sweet, sweet, husband for a day full of treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment