Monday, August 22, 2011

The name is Mobs...SHE-Mobs

The day after our wedding started what quickly became the bureaucratic nightmare that is CHANGING MY NAME!  But I'm using this blog entry to officially declare myself Mrs. Michael Mobley!  I've finally converted all my personal information from Stephanie DuPont to Stephanie Mobley.

Changing your name in the state of NY has the potential to ruin your life.  But I got some really great advice from the wonderful Mrs'es in my life that I'd like to share for those of you who are about to begin your journey towards wedded bliss....and the pain in the ass of taking your husband's name.

1. Social Security - You'd THINK that getting there early in the AM would be best, but everyone else also has that idea.  I took a random Friday and brought my book and went to the SS offices in the late morning, and before the lunchtime rush, around 10:30.  Make sure you bring the following:  your original SS card, your marriage license (certified copy from your county recorder) & your driver's license.

2.  DMV - In the state of New York this is probably one of the worst things ever.  But with great direction and advice once again, I was in and out of that hell hole in less than an hour.  In most states, this isn't something you can make an appointment for, so again, bring a book!  I arrived 30 minutes before the DMV opened, which isn't optimal for taking your new picture, but it was worth it to be out of there quicker.  I felt it extremely helpful to fill out my paperwork before going to the DMV, so I encourage my soon-to-be married friends to do this as well. Make sure you bring the following:  your marriage license (again...a certified copy), your old driver's license, and another form of ID (i.e. your passport or your birth certificate).  I'm not sure how much it costs in other states, but in NY it was a $65 fee.

3.  Once you have your SS and driver's license changed, you can change almost everything else through a quick phone call.  I did all my credit cards, bank account, and utilities all on the same day.  The doozie is changing your passport.  I'd recommend waiting until everything else is changed because you need to send original documents when you apply for your passport renewal.  So you may be without those documents for a few months. Do NOT change your passport before your honeymoon...It's better to just wait until you get home.  Make sure you send the following in: your original passport, your original certified marriage license (they return it to you with your new passport), a new picture and $$$ ($110 for me, but some people may differ depending on whether or not you need it expedited/renewed).

So I'd like to thank everyone who I consulted during the few months of my name-changing process, and I hope I can pass on some valuable knowledge to those who follow my blog.  It still feels weird to introduce myself as a Mrs.and as Stephanie Mobley, but life with my new identity as Mrs. Mobley has been wonderful!!!!


1 comment:

  1. And don't hyphenate! That was a whole other set of headaches. (Nobody knew what to file it under). So, I finally changed it to just my husband's last name. I guess I'm stuck with him now. ;) The name change process is easy on a marriage license but horrible if you change it later (you need to appear in court).
    Oh, and don't forget to change your name on student loans. Those guys are evil.
    But great advice! I wish I knew all that when I was first married!

    ReplyDelete