Monday, August 18, 2014

Mom & Pops Come for a Visit!



I can't remember the last time I had BOTH my parents in town at the same time.  Usually Pops stops by the city during a business trip to have dinner with me, and I've been able to convince my mother to keep me company from time to time while my husband is away for work travel.  But it's a REAL treat when I get them BOTH here at the same time.  It's even more fabulous when they have a sweet suite at the Gansevoort just five blocks from our apartment.

The weather could not have been more perfect for the DuPont's trip to New York - and Mike and I were excited to have an rare summer weekend home in the city.  So we celebrated the weekend like any festive couple hosting their parents for the weekend - cocktails and snacks at our place!  Our little one bedroom apartment offered a fully stocked bar, a squeaky clean patio to enjoy a gorgeous summer night in New York City, and a really happy bulldog who enjoys having visitors to his apartment.

We took my mom and dad to one of our favorite restaurants in New York City - the Strip House. Since both of my parents tend to favor a delicious martini after as their beverage of choice, I couldn't wait for them to experience the truffled blue cheese stuffed olive martini that the Strip House is so famous for.  We absolutely gorged on a fantastic seafood tower complete with lobster, oysters, crab claws, tuna tartare, clams, and any other type of shell fish you could ever imagine coming from the sea.  And just when it seemed as if we couldn't eat anymore, our dinner was delivered - a giant tomahawk steak for all of us to share.  I felt like I had to be rolled home.

Knowing that Mike & I are usually on-the-go, my parents had no other expectations for our Sunday together.  We spent a little time at the Gansevoort rooftop pool, I took them to Eataly to get the full "fancy grocery shopping' experience, we ate a Shake Shack lunch in the park because the line was shorter than I've ever seen it on a beautiful 80 degree summer afternoon, and we had Sunday dinner, complete with my dad's delicious meatballs.  Sure, we could have done a Yankee game, or a Broadway show, but this was a no frills weekend for the DuPonts, where the most important thing was to just be with us and to just be HERE.

It was a short and sweet visit, and it was over in the blink of an eye - but it was what we all needed.  We wish EVERY Sunday dinner could be with my parents, so it was lovely to just pretend that this was a regular ol' Sunday dinner with the parents, even if it was for one night!  Our spaghetti with meatballs with my parents was the perfect end to our weekend together.  We can't wait to have everyone back on the East Coast in just a few more weeks for my cousin's wedding at the end of September - next time with Garrett & Jenny!  Thanks for visiting us mom & dad - come back ANY TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment