Sunday, January 19, 2014

This Wont Hurt a Bit....


As you may recall, part of my ambition for 2014 was to be more "zen" this year.  I know it's barely 20 days into 2014, but I've spent the past few weekends at massage and facial appointments.  But there was something NEW that I have never tried before....acupuncture!
My cozy heated treatment bed!
The only thing I knew about acupuncture is that it involved needles & that they put them in weird places, like in your ears or in your forehead.  I hadn't done much research and I didn't know what to expect, but I made an appointment and kept an open mind.  After doing a bit of searching online, I found a fantastic location right on 16th and 3rd that had wonderful reviews- 16th Street Acupuncture and Wellness Center.   I emailed one of the acupuncturists, Samantha, and she gave me a delightful little surprise - ACUPUNCTURE WAS COVERED BY MY INSURANCE!  I couldn't believe my eyes!

So before I even got there I felt relieved that I wasn't signing up for what could turn into a costly investment.  The staff was wonderful - I made an appointment with Samantha, who has very convenient hours on Saturdays. From the moment I walked into the suite to the moment I walked out, I immediately felt relaxed.  I talked to Samantha about my stressful career and how my reason for treatment was to have regular relaxation and to get some stress relief in my hectic life.  And in no time, I was laying on my back with needles all over my body.

I'm not sure HOW it works, or why having tiny needles in my body takes all the stressful energy out of my life, or if it was purely mental, but I felt like a new woman when I walked out of that wellness center.  I felt relieved, I felt "zen" and I felt like I could handle anything that may come my way.   I'm ABSOLUTELY going back, in fact now that I have coverage, I'm going to see how frequently I can visit my friends at 16th Street Wellness Center.  I'd highly recommend acupuncture for anyone who hasn't tried it before - I'm already a big fan!  YAY ZEN!

1 comment:

  1. That’s definitely a first. I’ve never heard of acupuncture being covered by any health insurance policy. Acupuncture, I believe, works by stimulating your central nervous system(by the use of the needles) into releasing neurotransmitters and hormones that dull the pain, boost your immune system and improve various bodily functions. I’m glad that you liked your first session. “Yay for zen”, indeed!

    Shavonda Wallis @ AvicennaDenver.com

    ReplyDelete