Monday, October 21, 2013

The Chicago Bears & the Mobleys visit DC!



My family comes together every year to go to celebrate our annual Chicago Bears weekend.  Unfortunately, this year, our schedules just could not align.  With all of the travel the six of us are doing for work, and all of the planning for Garrett & Jenny's wedding - it just wasn't in the cards.  I'm not alone in saying that it broke all of our hearts...It was a sad realization when we just couldn't make it happen.  So when we got the invitation from the Novo family to join them in Virginia for the Bears vs. Redskins game - we started to plan immediately!

If it wasn't enough of an incentive to get me out there to see the Bears - I was further enticed by the fact that this would be my first trip to our Nation's Capital, AND....my first time in the state of Virginia!  We rallied quite the crew to head down on the train to DC for our friends weekend part II.  And after 3 hours on Amtrak - we arrived right in the heart of Washington DC for a gorgeous fall weekend.

Mike and I are on the same page when it comes to touring monuments, museums, and attractions.  We have a short attention span for these types of things and believe that any great attraction can be conquered in an hour or less - and thankfully our friends were on the same page as us.  Within 1.5 hours, we had visited the Jefferson, the FDR, the MLK AND the Lincoln Memorials.  We spared our feet and our pregnant friend, Nadean, from multiple hours of unnecessary walking, and were ready for a hearty lunch and a Guinness with Matty's parents in Old Town Alexandria.
Sunday was game day.  Nadean and I woke up early Sunday morning and went for a 4 mile run along the Potomac River up to Mount Verson.  After 58 days of Insanity, I forgot how nice it was to run outside and feel the fresh air in your lungs.  But even better was the view.  The rich golden colors of the trees reflected on the glassy water to look like a painting!  Nadean and I crunched leaves along the path as the chatted during our run - and those 4 miles went by super quick.

But after that, it was time for the main event - the Bears vs. Redskins game at FedEx Field.   As usual, we never have a shortage of Bear gear, and we brought a little extra flair this time in case someone forgot...eh hem...Keohane!  Of course I made sure to bring the foam Bears finger along for the ride, because I'm not even sure how I would high five other Bear's fans without it.  We took the Metro out to the stadium with just a few minutes to spare before kickoff.  The only thing more perfect that our experience on the immaculate public transit was the day.  We were extremely lucky to have a clear blue sky, the sun shining on our faces, and a light breeze, perfect for "football weather".


I have to commend the Bear's fans who all traveled out to Virginia to the game - we were amazingly represented, and they came ready to fight.  I'm always impressed at what these fans can pull together to show their support.  We found a guy who was the perfect imitation of Mike Ditka - I almost died.  I'm angry that it wasn't me or Mike, but he looked perfect.

As with any away game, you have to hope that your neighbors at the game are also going to be Bears fans, and they were!  The Bears were plagued with a few injuries during the game, and didn't end up leaving the stadium with a W as I had hoped, but at least I had some new friends around us to commiserate with over the four quarters.  Yes, the Skins ended up being the victors, but the game was close and we got the lovely treat of a Devon Hester punt return - I think that's the third one I've seen in person!  Sure I had a few "words" with some Skins fans, but I managed to keep my husband and friends out of any fights, which is KIND OF a miracle.

After another stint on the Metro (seriously, so convenient), we ended the evening with more exploring and joined some more of the Novogratz family for snacks and cocktails to celebrate the 30th birthday of Matty's sweet cousin - Maureen.  Although we aren't family, we were so happy to be there to toast to Maureen and toast to a BIG birthday for her.  It was such a lovely way to end the night and as always, we're so glad that we got to see everyone!

 If that wasn't enough of a jam-packed weekend, we had one more destination before starting our journey back to New York - a "power hour" at Mount Vernon.  It's never a bad Monday when you start it off touring the mansion of the Father of our Country while over looking the Potomac River on a crisp autumn day.  Similar to our tour around the monuments in DC, the five of us took a similar approach to the grounds of Mount Vernon.  In less than an hour, we had toured the mansion, the tomb, the warf, most of the land, and most importantly, the gift shop.  The DC monuments were impressive, but Mt. Vernon was particularly awe inspiring.  George Washington is literally THE most American person ever born.  When I heard the stories and lived his live through the tour of  his estate, it was the most proud I've felt to be an American.  It was comparable in pride to how I felt about being Catholic while visiting the Vatican.  It's truly, truly humbling.  
In no time, we were back at home and all of us had returned to our prospective apartments in various places across Manhattan.  My first time to DC and Virginia COULD NOT have been more perfect or more fulfilling.  I'm so appreciative to the Novogratz family for being our gracious hosts for the weekend, but I'm also so grateful for the PERFECT weather we had during our 3 day trip.   I hope we're invited back down there when the Bears come back in 2015.  While I'm still pretty bruised about not getting to see a Bear's game with my family this year, this was an excellent alternative!  Thank you again to the Novogratz's for hosting us and for showing all the best of our Nation's Capital & the beautiful state of Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment