Monday, May 13, 2013

Mike's Milestone Birthday

Every 5 years or so, we all experience a milestone birthday, whether we like it or not.  It may be 25, it may be 30, or in this case,  Mike turned 35.  So that means that it was time for me to, of course, make this a bigger deal than Mike would like.  Naturally, I took on yet another personal task, for the second week in a row, to surprise my wonderful husband.
Mikes Birthday Beer Fridge

But lightening doesn't strike the same place twice.  After the anniversary surprise went off without a hitch, Mike immediately discovered some tricks I had up my sleeves for the big 3-5.  He guessed his birthday gift (which I'm actually really impressed with, because it came up out of no where, not even mad), and he was indecisive about what he wanted to do to celebrate with his friends.  So we had quite a few celebrations over the course of the week. 

In my opinion, I think Mike has one of the best birth dates you could ever have, he may not agree, but it really is a great week.  He was born on May 7th, which just so happened to be Mother's Day back in 1978 on the day he was delivered!  What a special little gift.  But outside of his birth being on a holiday, his birthday is always around Cinco de Mayo & the Kentucky Derby! Two fabulous reasons to throw a party, if I must say so myself.

So we did just that...two parties for one special guy.  Well, I can't take credit for the Cinco De Mayo party.  Slacker Radio & College Humor threw a festive celebration on Dos de Mayo for some people in the  media industry.  There were plenty of margaritas & plenty of tequila to go around.  Since it was on a Thursday night during the work week, they had quite a turnout.  It was the perfect combination of my favorite work friends, and some of our favorite non-work buddies all in one place.  So while it was a corporate function, it was also kind of a pre-birthday party for the big guy.

Then came the Derby party!  We essentially wore everything in our closet that was mint green, pink, or seersucker.  The house was decorated with red roses in little silver mint julep cups & we stocked the bar with plenty of bourbon & rose.  The sun was shining & we got brand new patio chairs delivered in time to have a few people over for a little Derby watching & a toast to Mike's 35th.  And since no party is complete without Star Wars cupcakes, I whipped a few of those together too. I even mastered the art of making mint juleps for the first time in my life!  It was such a nice time having everyone over & I know Mike appreciated seeing all of the festive, happy faces that helped him celebrate such a big birthday.

By Mike's actual birthday, it felt like we had been celebrating for a week (Mike, now I know how you feel when I milk my big day for at least a month or so)!  So as a final celebration, I made reservations for a nice quiet dinner for two at Craft, just right around the corner from our apartment.   We had a deliciously refreshing meal with local seafood, spring vegetables, and a dessert, of course!  And even though Mike got to open his Marshall beer fridge a few days early, Winston and I still had a few little surprises for him to open when we got home from dinner.

Mike, you may be a 35 year old man, but you're still a kid at heart, in the best way possible.  Even though you might not like the birthday attention, your birthday has become one of my favorite days of the year because I'm so thankful that you were brought into this world.  I can't imagine a world without you in it.  Happy birthday to my handsome husband.  I love you every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment