Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Fruits of Our Labor

I haven't been shy about how busy this year has kept me at work.  We have recently under-gone a pretty massive re-org at the agency and the campaign we launched earlier this year for Axe took on a pretty ambitious mission when they endeavored to send guys to space.  So far, 2013 has kept me on my toes to put it delicately.

It was with great pride that I was able to travel out to LA to see the fruits of our labor come to life at the MTV Movie Awards in LA last weekend. I hadn't been out to California since 2011, when we headed out for the Charlie Sheet Roast.  Since the winter in New York has been longer than typical, so I was extremely anxious for some Southern California vitamin D.  Unfortunately, I was greeted with a bit of ol' fashioned Los Angeles cloud cover instead.  But that was totally ok because, it was an unbelievably pleasant coincidence when my cousin Julie was staying at the same hotel in LA for a friend's birthday.  So to pass a few hours before the rest of the Unilever/MTV crew landed, we caught up over lunch and a bit of shopping on Robertson.


But my sweet cousin Julie wasn't the only person who shared the hotel with me last weekend.  During the welcome dinner at the Four Seasons, we were graced with the presence of Peter Dinklage - and as a Game of Thrones fan, I was almost in tears when he sauntered through the bar.  We had a few more encounters with him over the weekend, one may have included some borderline stalking techniques, but I never actually talked to him...sigh.  If there is one man who could have one-upped Tyrion Lannister, it would be Paul McCartney....and Paul McCartney was also staying at our hotel.  It's no secret that if you can get your hiney to the gym at the Four Seasons after a night of cocktails, you're guaranteed to have a mind-blowing encounter with someone pretty incredible.

A little Pitch Perfect action
As part of our big Axe
deodorant launch this year, the team has been working for what seems like at least 6 months on a partnership with MTV for the Movie Awards.  We had countless emails, hundreds of conference calls, and upwards of ten meetings, all to perfect the program and ensure that each of the elements went off without a hitch.  It truly took a village to polish up the program from start to finish.  So at the risk of sounding cheesy, I have to thank the MTV team for all of the resources they put in to making sure that Mindshare & Unilever were happy with all aspects of the sponsorship.

The rest of our time was spent consuming glutinous meals, chasing celeb encounters, bonding with the team and creating some new inside jokes.  And after a bit of a "work hard, play hard" time in LA, I realized that its weekends like this where I'm so thankful that I have a job where I can enjoy the payoff and the great results from all of the hard work and effort our team puts into our jobs. When we are working some late nights and 60 hours weeks, these are the moments that make it all worth it.  I take great pride when I can see our program live on TV, and it makes me smile when someone in the office, or even a friend tells me: "Hey, we saw Axe in the Super Bowl" or "I love the astronaut campaign".  We have a great team, we work with some excellent partners, and our clients are some of the best people I've had the pleasure of working with.  I'm honored to be a part of such ground-breaking work and I bring on the challenge to continue to keep bringing these excellent programs to the brands that I work on.  It was an excellent execution and it was an excellent weekend spent with the amazing people...and I'm NOT just talking about Tyrion Lannister!

No comments:

Post a Comment