Monday, October 13, 2014

Sister Tiiiime!

Jenny & I don't get to spend a lot of time together - we especially don't get to spend a lot of time together with just the two of us!  We love our husbands, but sometimes life just calls for a little sister time.  So after Sarah & Ian's wedding, Jenny decided to come back to the city with Mike & I for a girls night in NYC!  Her husband was on the first flight out of LGA back to Dallas, she had to keep her suitcase in the living room, she had to sleep on the couch, and both Mike and I had to work the next day, but Jenny didn't care!  She just wanted to spend some quality time with her favorite New Yorkers (but mostly me) before heading back to Texas.

Riding back from Rhode Island after a late night at a wedding was rough...definitely rough.  At least the drive through New England was pretty with some early signs of changing leaves - but it was over 3 hours, and we were all a little beat up.  But that didn't keep us from a good ol fashioned rally when we got home to the city.  Within 2 hours of walking through the apartment door, we were dressed up in our Sunday evening best, we had flawless hair, and we were walking out the door with a low-key agenda for a girls night.

We stopped first at Eataly, Because it was a rather off-peak time, we were able to get a table to have some meat & cheese with rose wine to start our evening.  In my almost five years of living here, I've always had an agenda or a very specific grocery list to fulfill when I battled the crowds through Eataly.  For once, I enjoyed having a reason and a guest to just stop and smell the burrata with me!  We closed our tab and hopped in an Uber up to the theater district and walked into a theater where Chicago was playing.  Also, never in my five years of living in New York, have I walked in to a theater seven minutes before a show is scheduled to start, and buy tickets!  And because we were so polite, and dressed so nicely for the theater - the ticket clerk gave us 7th row, center tickets.  But here's the catch...they were only $100!  It totally pays to be spontaneous - and polite, of course.

Jenny & I had little sippy cups full of champagne and we got some snacks to share during the show.  And it was hard to not enjoy any Broadway play when you have such fantastic seats!  When the curtain closed we were swiftly out the doors and home in cozies in no time.  Since we were hosting Jenny, Mike made sure to have some pizza delivered for when we got home...because that's just being a good host!

It meant a lot to me to have just a few extra hours of quality time with my sister in law.  Every time we see each other it's for a very short amount of time or it's for some major holiday - we need more "just cause" nights like this.  Now that we're officially related, I'm confident that we will create more reasons to have these nights.  We're always happy to have people visit us in New York, but the best guests are family - especially any one of our siblings. I love my newest sister, I love that she stayed one extra night to be with us, and I love that the night we spent together was perfectly spontaneous and girly in every way.  Jenny (and Garrett I suppose....) you're welcome back any day you ever want!

No comments:

Post a Comment