Monday, March 11, 2013

The Final Year of my 20s

My birthday this year was a little different than the past.  I used to LOVE my birthday.  I spent weeks counting down until my special day, I sent lists for my presents weeks in advance, and every year (regardless of the significance in the number), I felt that a party for myself was not only warranted but necessary.  But this year I experienced none of the anticipation - likely as a function of becoming older and entering the final year of my 20s!  I also had a very close colleague at work lose his parent in a tragic accident the day prior to my birthday which broke my heart into a million pieces, so I wasn't much in the mood for celebration come March 5th.

But my friends and family had a different agenda, and for that I am extremely grateful.  The first thing I saw when I walked into the office on my birthday was the happiest bouquet of orange roses you ever did see, and the birthday surprises kept coming.  I had a delivery of 100 Baked by Melissa cupcakes, the clever gift of a gallon of Frank's Red Hot & 99 ounces of canned jalapenos, and the most thoughtful hand made card I've ever seen signed by my favorites in the office.  It was a somber day at Mindshare, but they were all so sweet and thoughtful to make me feel special.

Of course my husband showered me with wonderful gifts when I got home from work & took me to a fabulously New York-y dinner at Old Homestead where we had juicy steaks & an amazing bottle of red wine that Mike ordered solely based on the fact that it was called "Richard the Lionheart".  And of course, I couldn't turn down a creme brulee dessert...But my favorite gifts of the entire birthday were the two flights we booked to Paris and Italy in June!  Another Mobley European vacation is less than 100 days away. :)

Rather than cocktails and birthday shots, this particular birthday helped me to put a lot into perspective.  I took the majority of the day to reflect upon the way I have been prioritizing things in my life & how I have been spending the majority of my precious time so far in 2013.  Rather than taking the time to bask in the glory of the only day of the year when you can truly be selfish, I found myself appreciating how amazing the people are in my life. I'm beyond grateful for every person in my family, for each one of my friends, and for the loyal colleagues I have at work.  I thank you all for making me feel special.  My 20s have been the most amazing 9 years of my life and I have no doubt that 29 will be full of surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment