Monday, October 22, 2012

10 Years Already????

I've been spending the past 6 years completely transforming into full adult mode, with adult problems, and adult worries, and adult obligations.  When should we buy a house?  Am I contributing enough to my 401K?  When will we start a family?  Where do we want to raise our children? But just 10 years ago, it wasn't that complicated.  10 years ago, my biggest worries were finding a dress for prom, getting my homework done, and of course...Beating Grapevine!

Despite spending most of my childhood in the OC (that really was a good show...), I was privileged enough to graduate from THE Southlake Carroll High School - home of the 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, (and so on) 5A football State Champions.  My dad's job at American Airlines transferred us to Southlake my sophomore year in high school, which SHOULD have been traumatizing to any 15 year old, but it was an experience that changed my life for the good, and I couldn't be more proud to be a Dragon.

Although my parents don't live in Southlake anymore, they are about 25 minutes away, just close enough to get home for the reunion and have a little family time all in the same weekend.  Within 5 minutes of being in Dallas, I fell immediately into my high school antics.  My mom dropped me off at a friends house for lunch, I took pictures with my bestie on the stairs  for "homecoming", and I ate sugary cereal for breakfast (mom stocked the house with Count Chocula & Franken-Berry, how could I resist?).

Outside of the main party for the evening, there was a few other little events going on all weekend long.  

I couldn't make it out to the homecoming football game, but one of the highlights was an Emerald Belle reunion brunch!  Being on the dance team was one of my greatest accomplishments of high school, and I spent the majority of my high school career with these girls.  We went to camps together, we went to overnight competitions together, we practiced 3 hours a day together (starting at 5:30a), we studied together...so saying that we were close would be an extreme understatement.  We were our own little family, of all ladies.  I only wish that all of the girls could have been able to make it out, but it was fun catching up with all my beautiful Belles, and watching our "tapes" (yes, the dance team watched tapes on Monday morning also).

And what high school party wouldn't be complete with the obligatory awkward posed pictures?  Just like 10 years prior, Ashley and I met at her parents house to have a photo shoot that was reminiscent of how we were as seniors in high school....only this time I didn't do my best friend's hair and makeup...and we have way better clothes...and much cuter dates!  We posed with Ashley's REAL mums from her junior and senior years, and I remember thinking that, at the time, these were very impressive sized mums.  But then I saw pictures of the class of 2013's mums (see picture to the right)....and WOW...just WOW.  I don't even know how these people stand UP! And oh my...the expense of it all!  I guess it is as they always say though....everything is bigger in Texas!


Upon arrival at the evening reunion, I felt like I had ADD.  I was hopping all around the room from person to person hugging and squeezing people I hadn't seen in literally 10 years.  Despite the tornado warnings in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, there was a pretty good turnout and I was not disappointed by some of the people I was able to re-connect with.  The evening was 4 hours of asking the same questions that just didn't get old.  "Where are you living?". "What are you doing for work?". "Who's watching the baby(ies) (crazy that some of my HS friends are PARENTS!)?", and "Do you still keep in touch with X?".  There was quite a bit of "photo-sharing"...we were more eager to show pictures of our bulldog, but that's just what you do when you don't have babies yet! 

I was on the fence about whether or not I would fly out to Dallas for this quick weekend after the year we've had in travel expenses.   Regardless of the reunion weekend though, I couldn't wait for another opportunity to see my family, and of course my high school best friend.  It warms my heart that after over 10 years, we are still great friends who have kept in touch and were even in eachother's weddings.  I've said this before in an earlier post, but I feel like it's more rare to have friendships that transcend decades.  It must also be said that my husband was an absolute trooper (as was Mr. Chain!).  Reunion's are NOT easy things to do as a spouse, so thank you to our wonderful husbands for letting us gallivant around the room like 18 years-olds again. 

One thing that was very common in all the conversations I had with people was that they had either been to New York for business quite frequently, or that they visited NY occasionally.  If anything comes out of my 10-year reunion, I just hope that people will drop a line before coming to the Big Apple.  We're so lucky to live in one of our countries greatest cities, and the center for so much business travel.  Anytime you're in town, the Mobleys would be happy to see you!  
Go Dragons!

No comments:

Post a Comment